1. 3 cans Freund’s Canned Fancy Solid Tuna in Oil, from Freund’s Fish Market;
2. Approximately 2-2 ¾ cups Bechemel Sauce (see recipe below);
3. 3 cups cooked Elbow Macaroni – measure the pasta after cooking;
4. 1 cup Peas & Carrots – preferably frozen, but canned will do (just make sure you drain all the liquid from the canned ones);
5. ½ cup chopped onions – either Spanish or White onion;
6.1 container of Yellow Corn Meal from your favorite supermarket for the Corn Muffins.
For the Bechemel Sauce . . .
1. Place a heavy skillet over medium heat;
2. Put ¼ cup Freund’s (parve) Garlic Butter in the skillet and let it start to melt;
3. Add ¼ cup All-purpose flour to the melting butter and stir;
4. Cook the flour and butter for approximately 5-8 minutes – once the mix starts to have a bit of a popcorn smell to it, then add 2 ½ cups milk or non-dairy creamer and stir vigorously, making sure there are no lumps in the sauce;
5. Now, add ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper and taste – then adjust seasoning as desired;
6. Cook the sauce until it becomes creamy and slightly thick, stirring to make sure it doesn’t burn;
7. Once cooked, pour the sauce into a bowl and set aside.
For the Tuna Noodle Casserole . . .
1. Preheat your oven to 350 Degrees F;
2. Drain the Tuna and add it to the Bechemel Sauce;
3. Add the cooked noodles, peas & carrots, onions to the Tuna and Bechemel Sauce;
4. Mix everything together and set aside;
5. Grease the casserole dish with Freund’s (parve) Garlic Butter, then pour the Tuna mix into the dish and spread it out evenly;
6. Sprinkle the casserole with the seasoned bread crumbs and bake inside the preheated oven for approximately 20-25 minutes, until the top is golden brown and it’s bubbly around the edges.
For the Corn Muffins . . .
1. Take the package of Yellow Corn meal and look on the back. You will find a recipe for Corn Bread. Follow that recipe and simply use a muffin tin for baking. Use muffin cups for baking, or grease well the tins. Fill each cup about ¾ full and bake inside a preheated 375 Degree F. oven for approximately 15-18 minutes.
Chef Says: “At home I use Freund’s Fancy Solid Tuna in Oil, because the little bit of oil left on the Tuna after draining gives both added flavor and moisture to the dish; however, you may use whichever Freund’s Tuna you personally prefer. Just remember to don’t wash any of the Tuna, only drain it a bit.)