1. Freund’s Canned Tuna (3 cans, 6 oz. each), from Freund’s Fish Market;
2. 3 large eggs, 2 Tablespoons Freund’s Spicy Mayo, 1 cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs, ¼ cup diced red onion, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon Dijon style mustard, ½ teaspoon Freund’s House Seasoning.
3. 1 pound Orzo Pasta;
4. ½ pound Dried Cranberries (Craisins), ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley (or 3 Tablespoons dried);
5. Freund’s (parve) Garlic Butter – we hope you have this in your refrigerator already;
6. 1 pound each fresh Carrots and fresh Parsnips;
7. Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
1. Bring to boil 1 gallon of water with 2 Tablespoons Freund’s House Seasoning.
2. While the water is preparing to boil, wash, peel and cut the Carrots and Parsnips into equal sized pieces, about 1 inch each.
3. Put the Carrots and Parsnips into the water and let boil 5 minutes.
4. After the Carrots and Parsnips have boiled 5 minutes, remove them from the water – BUT SAVE THE WATER FOR LATER USE.
5. Toss the hot Carrots and Parsnips with about ½ cup Freund’s (parve) Garlic Butter and place on a cookie sheet and into a preheated 375 degree F. oven and roast for 15-20 minutes.
6. Return the saved cooking water to the original pot. Bring the water back to a boil and add 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil and the Orzo Pasta. Stir the water while pouring the pasta into the water and stir often during cooking to prevent sticking. Cook the Pasta until it is just tender – about 10-12 minutes for Orzo. Once the Pasta has reached the desired doneness, drain and set aside. Now you may discard the cooking water.
7. For the Tuna Patties: Mix together all of the ingredients listed in 2), above, under “You will need”. Next, drain the Tuna and crumble it into the mix, then take a spoon and mix everything together, being careful not to over mix and turn it into a paste. Shape the mix into 6-8 patties, about 1 inch thick each.
8. Take a heavy duty skillet and place over medium-high heat. Put 3 tablespoons of Freund’s (parve) Garlic Butter into the skillet and sauté the Orzo until it starts to turn a light brown. Mix in the Parsley and it’s finished.
9. Now take the same skillet and return to medium heat. Pour ¼ cup canola oil into the hot skillet and cook the Tuna Patties until each is golden on both sides. About 4 minutes per side.
Chef Says: “Any of our Tuna may be used; however, I recommend the Chunk Light in Water. And if you’re in a dairy mood, take some of your favorite Cheddar or Mozzarella Cheese and melt over the Tuna Patties for a delicious Tuna melt. Or you can stick to parve and simply add a dollop of our great tasting Tartar Sauce on top.”