1. Freund’s Fresh Salmon Fillet (1 per person), from Freund’s Fish Market;
2. Freund’s House Seasoning (1 small jar) – you probably already have this in your pantry;
3. Freund’s Honey Ginger Bar-B-Que Sauce & Marinade (1 jar for 5 Fillets);
4. Freund’s Authentic Italian Vinaigrette Dressing;
5. Freund’s (parve) Garlic Butter;
6. 1 package 3×3 puff pastry sheets (in the freezer section of your favorite market);
7. Fresh Red Onion, peeled and sliced (1 medium onion per 2 fillets).
1. Wash and pat dry the fish and season with Freund’s House Seasoning and set aside.
2. Place the sliced onion, with a touch of oil, into a skillet set on a medium heat. Do not turn the heat higher than medium-high. Put a pinch of sugar and a pinch of salt in with the onion and cook until the onion turns to a caramel color.
3. Remove the puff pastry from the freezer and cook according to package directions (you will need 3 pieces for each serving); HOWEVER, once you put them on a cookie sheet, before baking, take a fork and prick (known as “docking”) each sheet, then place a piece of parchment paper on top of them and another cookie sheet on top of that one. This prevents them from puffing up too much during baking. If they puff up too much, then it’s going to be hard to build the Napolean.
4. For the Fish: Cut the fish in half – cut it down the line you’ll see in the middle. Spread a little of Freund’s (parve) Garlic Butter onto the fish and bake inside a preheated 400 Degree F. oven for approximately 20 minutes. (You can also grill the fish or even pan fry it as well.)
5. Once the puff pastry comes from the oven, remove the top cookie sheet and paper and let rest, uncovered. Each piece should be light golden and crisp.
6. Building the Napoelan: Place a piece of puff pastry on the plate; place one piece of fish on the pastry; spoon some of the Honey Ginger Bar-B-Que Sauce over the fish; spoon some of the caramelized onion on the sauce. Repeat. You should have two layers. Finally, place a piece of pastry on top and . . . voila! You have your Salmon Napolean!
7. For the salad: Take your favorite salad and dress it with Freund’s Authentic Italian Vinaigrette Dressing.